Its the technology not the politics.
The only differences would be that the badges would say PTY LTD, They would be private companies and voluntary militia. They, like some police today, will be obligated to secure and replace the door they have to kick in at their expense.
Some may desire a private policing agency that does not authorise such things but that would be much more expensive for three reasons.
- Without the resources of such intelligence and search powers their working blind and since they are not immune to prosecution any accident that happens, strip searching the wrong guy etc, would cost them huge damages in court.
- In the private courts of arbitration the arbitrators and juries would have to be told that you've refused to authorise full police intelligence. It would bias the case and cost you greater damages but freedom of speech would mandate such information. In such courts it could not be ruled in admissible. You are hiding something.
- They would also have more unsolved cases.
In some cases the guys searching you house will leave notes authorising compensation and advertising the companies services on the back.
There is another way but its equally risky and more invasive. If everyone was armed and trained in the Militia. Then searching Watertown Boston would have taken three minutes. Check your house and yard. Check three others with your neighbour, then everyone checks granny Smith's place and Bob's house because he's out of town. The key technology needed: guns, light vests, torches, a first aid trauma kit and the neighbours spare keys. Ideally you would add biometric gun safeties so the terrorist, criminals or the grand-kids can't use the gun. A cell phone app so everyone co-ordinates and has personal Id friend or foe. A gun camera so you get training footage, film of the capture to sell to WNN* and evidence for your defence in court if anything goes wrong. And you know things would go wrong!
*Web New Network
Some argue that there would be no terrorists attacking the libertarian republic but Islamic attacks pre-date the modern nation state, they pre-date the monarchy's of Europe, they even pre-date the knights and tribes of the early mediaeval era.
Islam is a theocratic nation state that seeks global domination. Wearing a knee length dress is considered western provocation. Interest on banking, pig farms and synagogues are seen as illegal or immoral and grounds for attacks. Don't even think about bikinis, nudist beaches or XXX web sites.
There are other groups that would be provoked by other things: eating meat, climate change, Abortion, and even private property its self.
A libertarian Republic would be attacked ferociously. Some would see libertarianism as a soft target for conquest because it has no central authority. Some would see it as immorality institutionalised. Some libertarians actually desire that. Some will be hunting down dissidents and apostates from other states that have fled to the free-state seeking peace. Some will be pursuing genuine criminals that have fled to your land thinking it is not illegal here.
They will try to divide, confuse and conquer. They will play games placing evidence leading in all directions. Only very good intelligence defends against such false flag operations. Only surveillance and search tools produces that level of intelligence. A society with perfect privacy, cryptology, and anonymity is a society where no crime can be investigated or prosecuted unless the individual is caught red handed in public with a dozen witnesses. (Even video would be inadmissible because of privacy)
In its own defence and the defence of its clients the private defence companies will need the same tools of a modern nation state. They may have more drones and fewer bombers. They will share between them the cost of an aircraft carrier or two. They can be hit from anywhere in the world so they must be able to hit first at any attacker. They must pre-empt because if their client can be hit from afar then they don't get paid. In some cases the insurers must pay prompt compensation to any client that are harmed. They must strike first, revenge from the grave is not a viable product line for most.
Thus with a few small details the defence and policing in a Libertarian Republic will not be radically different. It may eventually develop stun guns, micro-uavs and personal civilian body armour, etc but states are funding that research too.
One major difference will be that civilian use of weapons and tasers will be allowed but without a gun camera and biometric lock on the gun your police insurance cost and related security and court insurance will be astronomical. Taser already has both yet its been banned in many countries.
- Is a libertarian republic possible? Yes.
- Is it inevitable. Yes the current system of nation states are dependant on debt, which is dependant on taxation with both growing infinitely towards bankruptcy. Any alternative must have limited public expenditure with people covering the cost of many things in the free market funded by user pays, crowdfunding, charity and other systems that allow free choices. These are what libertarianism really means. Choice.
- Will it work? Some will, some wont and those that will, will buyout those that don't.
- Will it be all user pays policing and public goods? No there will be crowdfunding, charity and pro bono covering some of the very poor and refugees.
- Will criminal convicts be executed, exiled or left free broke and uncovered? No most will be able to sign up for protection and arbitration at greater cost and much greater restrictions. Only the most uncontrollable repeat offender will be sedated, exiled or if no other option exists, executed.
- Will it be fundamentally immoral, obscene and thus medically and socially dangerous? Yes. Some parts will but that's true of some nation states and governments. They will die out with VD outbreaks etc.
- Will there be morally restrictive liberation communities in the republic? Yes someone will sell that as a legal and law enforcement service or product. As long as you are free to change service provider at no unreasonable cost or physical punishment it would work. It would stop at property lines or at the horizon (view lines).
- Will the Libertarian Republic have Mayors, Governors, Presidents and Diplomats? Yes, some and they will have money to use in their jobs but it will be contractual payments, donations, crowdfunding and profits never coerced taxes.
In conclusion while there would be some legal differences and it would not be funded the same way, the operations, actions and appearance of policing in such a man hunt would be the same because its technologically limited. There is no other way yet known.